Wednesday, September 2, 2009

President Carter's Teeth

When I was in second grade President Carter was fighting for re-election. I remember a couple things about that election cycle. I remember going with my parents to someone's home, so they could vote. That's the only time I specifically remember my parent's voting. But what I remember most about that election cycle was my best friend Brent showing me how to make Carter's teeth with an elastic band. We laughed and laughed.

"How goofy President Carter's teeth look, they are sooooo goofy, you can easily represent the general look of them with an elastic band!"

Of course, we were so insightful and eloquent....

Amazing how those are the only personal memories (memory) I have of President Carter. Other than this, perhaps, the President was a benign older gentleman with bad teeth and a funny accent?

Anyway, the point I'm getting at is why in the H-E-double hockey sticks is the President of the United States more important an institution for a child to serve than the Republic, or the boy or girl sitting next to her, or even her own best interests? Why is it okay for my kid to be encouraged in PUBLIC school to think of ways to help or serve the President of the United States? Help him with what exactly? Serve him to what end, I wonder? Is it really about encouraging kindergartners to stay in school, or is it more about a child's positive recollection later in life of a past President? While at the same time, mind you, it is unreasonable or inappropriate for my kid to look up to this nation's flag, stand at attention, hand over heart, being lead every morning in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance? That sacred oath has been replaced by this, the most unassuming yet grossest of vanities and deceptions I've ever heard out of the Federal Government. The idea alone is like Carter's teeth and that elastic band, simply and irresponsibly childish and naive; oh, but infinitely more dangerous. Thank heaven Carter stayed in the Middle East and not in my class room.

Maybe I'm more sensitive now that I have school aged children, but I juxtapose my experience over there's and I don't like the mismatches I see. It took six years of elementary school Social Studies, and the example of my parents to make me a patriot. Will my kids ever know what being obligated to defend liberty and justice for all requires? Will they learn of the great character and sacrifices of our founding fathers, and the men and women who died, so we can eat chiknugits and laugh with our 2 year old daughter as she learns to speak without fear of punishment for how she speaks or what she says.

I feel sometimes, especially lately, that I'm now living in some badly produced Sci-fi mini-series. The gaul, suggesting to kids they somehow serve the President. He's Constitutionally bound to serve them, and all of us, we owe him nothing, but our respect when he's carrying out his elected duties.

Thankfully, in this country, servitude is optional, and you don't have to be bound by any notion or obligation of thought or idea unless you subscribe of your own free will and choice, and by God, we don't have to stand for this kind of "suggested" lesson plan from any President.

What's next, for crying out loud?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home